21/11/2013

#9 - New GW paints: initial thoughts



As some of you may already know, Games Workshop released a set of new paints last Saturday. Pictures of these had been running around the Internet for a little while already and caught my attention as soon as I saw them. These paints aren't colours but "technical" paints to add touches of detail to your models, like blood splatters, bronze oxidisation, rust, etc. As a person who likes models with character, adding wear and tear is right up my alley. I don't have much experience with weathering, but I have seen a lot of hobbyists use various techniques and am currently discovering this fantastic aspect of the hobby for myself, so these paints have arrived just in time!

Now, due to the nature of the army I am starting to collect (Space Marines), I won't need all of these but I will definitely be purchasing Typhus Corrosion (for adding grime to vehicles) and Agrellan Earth (for the army's bases), which I will review seperately in the next couple of weeks. I was also thinking of getting my hands on the aptly, if somewhat unimaginatively, named Blood for the Blood God, but I am quite sure that I can mix up my own blood mixture using Mephiston Red, mixed with some Dryad Bark and some 'Ardcoat shiny varnish (for the freshly-spilt blood look). I won't need Ryza Rust, Nihilakh Oxide or Nurgle's Rot paints, but I am tempted to get them, both to show some interest in the new paints at my local independant stockist and just to review them for the blog. Hum... Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, if you're interested to know about these interesting additions to the already big Games Workshop paint range, I'd suggest that you have a look at the links below. They are videos that show and explain the uses and results of each paint in an easily-understandable way and I enjoyed watching them (which is rare when it comes to GW-created videos...).



Finally, I just thought I'd announce that there is now a Facebook page and a Twitter account for me to post blog updates, share hobby-related content, etc. so feel free to go and like/follow those pages!

Anyway, that's all from me for tonight. I should be able to find the time to write up a review of the Agrellan Earth next week if I manage to get my hands on it tomorrow. If not, I'll find something else to talk about while I hunt down the paints!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. It is good to see GW is trying to expand their range of paints. It recent years lots of companies have started releasing similar products, particularly focusing of weathering. I know a lot of people use stuff from AK Interactive, so they might be worth looking into if you like these GW paints. It has been years since I really painted anything so I don't have any experience using any of the stuff. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the ones you try out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Harlon!

      I would say that GW are a bit late to the party with these when you look at what other companies have released in recent years, as you've pointed out, but I am nonetheless quite happy that they have finally starting releasing some more technical paints due to them being ones that my local store will actually stock (along with the rest of the GW paint range).

      I have heard of AK Interactive and have seen how good the results are in various places, so I will definitely be looking at getting a few of the products in the new year. Thanks for the reminder/tip!

      Delete